- Garmisch and the Romantic Castles
- Ludwig’s Versailles and Mozart’s Salzburg
- Bavaria’s Allgäuer Alps
- Four Rivers through the Heart of Bavaria
- Magical Moselle Wine Route
- The Carinthian Lakes - Austria’s Cycling Paradise
- Austrian Wine and the best of the Danube
- Gruyères and Lake Genèva
- Appenzellerland and Lake Constance
- The Alsace - Route du Vin
- Croatia - Pearls of Istria
- Essence of Slovenia
Austrian Wine and the best of the Danube
11 Day Cycling Holiday - Austria
Discover why Austrian wine is the connoisseurs’ best-kept secret. In fact, the small yet beautiful wine culture of this region means you’ll sample wines rarely found outside Austria. And what makes Austrian wine so special? The tradition of winemaking for thousands of years has created world-class dry white wines, serious reds and some of the best sweet wines on earth.
So join us as we traverse through the beautiful Weinviertel region of north-eastern Austria, the country’s largest wine growing region, boasting charming wine villages and towns. We’ll ride through delightful countryside of apricot orchards and steep terraced vineyards, stopping in sleepy medieval villages for a slice of traditional Viennese Sachertorte (a delicious gooey chocolate cake) and a glass or two of local wine, with the Danube itself providing a majestic backdrop.
Highlights will include:
- Uncorking the finest wines from the region and discovering the wine world’s best-kept secret
- Klosterneuburg Priory and Stift Melk - two of the most historic and influential Austrian monasteries
- Exploring the unique small towns of Poysdorf, Tulln, Dürnstein and Melk
- Enjoying the enchanting scenery of the Danube River region as we cycle along unchallenging terrain
- Eating and drinking in authentic Austrian Heurigers (Eastern-Austrian wine taverns) with traditional live music from guitars and accordions - musical themes invariably revolve around celebrating wine-drinking!
- Vienna - Austria’s romantic capital is just a short train ride from your cycle route, or an excellent addition before or after your tour
It really is the best – the hotels you choose are perfect in their location. If I won the lottery I would just be permanently on your cycling holidays!
J. Halfyard, Stockport.